Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Prescription: Friendship!

I've always been a pretty happy person.  Of course there have been times when I've been down in the dumps for an extended period, but it usually revolved around some sort of situation that eventually passes as do the blues.  It seems like I'm happier than ever overall in my present stage of life.  I contribute this to a combination of factors: strengthened relationship with Christ, growth in marriage, addition to family, and of course, an irreplaceable, incomparable circle of friends.  Come to find out, having friends is scientifically proven to make us healthier and happier.  Better Homes and Gardens published an article with some really interesting facts and research on the subject.  Allow me to share:

First of all, loneliness is on the rise. According to surveys conducted by Duke University, our social circles have shrunk by one-third between the years 1985-2004.  Nowadays the average person has just 2 close confidants (down from 3 in 1985), who are far more likely to be family members than unrelated pals.  And that only counts people who confide in anyone at all. 25% of the survey respondents in 2004 admitted to having zero close relationships at all--family or friends.

This is unfortunate since studies have also shown that social interaction significantly reduces cortisol levels (the stress hormone), and physical touch of friends increases activity of dopamine and oxytocin (feel-good brain chemicals).  In addition to this, loneliness was shown to lead to increased blood pressure, higher morning rises in cortisol and less restful sleep. If that's not enough, people with ample friends showed less symptoms when exposed to the cold virus and more effectiveness with flu vaccines.--BH&G April 2011

Now these scientists, though brilliant, can come up with the most absurd reasons why this occurs.  Like this is an inherited trait from our ancestors who were in physical danger if alone and tended to live in clusters for protection.  Really, so I feel better around my friends because my caveman ancestor might not get eaten by a saber toothed tiger or a woolly mammoth hanging in a crowd? Please.  It's how we were designed by our Creator.  God is relational.  He designed us to love and to be loved.  So obviously, when we are doing this, we are healthier and happier.  I can attest to this.  I've always had a lot of friends.  I've always enjoyed hanging out with people.  But in this stage of my life, God has surrounded me with a new breed of friend.  A group of women who would literally do anything for me I feel like.  And I would bend over backwards to do what I could for them.  Yes, they enjoy just hanging out, but it's more than that.  There is a genuine love for each other, a wish for the best to happen to each other, hurt when each other hurts.  No selfishness, no pettiness. 

The result: happiness, healthiness, support, and the overwhelming feeling that no matter what I take on....I am never alone.

1 comment: